Fenugreek seeds (also known as Methi dana) can be used in many different ways but the easiest way to include this natural remedy in your hair care routine is by using fenugreek oil for hair. Fenugreek seeds help you to achieve your dream hair by stimulating hair growth and nourishing your hair. These seeds also help in preventing hair loss as they contain a host nutrients and essential vitamins that help hair follicles to remain healthy and strong.
What is fenugreek oil?
Fenugreek oil is best suited for people who have damaged hair or are experiencing hair loss. Fenugreek seeds themselves are rich in iron, protein, vitamin A, B1, B2, C, and other nutrients. Combining it with any oil of your choice such as Sesame oil or Coconut oil (or any other carrier oil) is essential for combating hair dryness and hairfall. Together they work as a wonder for your scalp as well as your hair.
You can buy fenugreek oil for hair at any store or can easily make it at home. In this article, the heating method is used to prepare fenugreek oil which takes less time as compared to the cold infusion method.
Benefits of fenugreek oil for hair
- Hair growth
Unhealthy scalp, nutritional deficiencies, or stress can lead to hair loss. Fenugreek oil helps in reducing excessive hair fall or shedding. Even if you do not face hair loss, fenugreek oil can stimulate blood flow to the scalp which promotes faster hair growth. It also nourishes and strengthens the hair follicles, promoting the healthy growth of hairs.
- Smooth hair
Using chemical-based products and heat can damage your hair, making it rough and dry. Fenugreek seeds contain a high amount of mucilage that replenishes your hair. Fenugreek oil provides smoothness that helps in detangling your hair while adding shine to it.
- Reduces dandruff
Fenugreek seeds have anti-inflammatory and anti-fungal properties. This helps in reducing dandruff in your scalp and it also soothes an irritated scalp. Also, if you have a dry scalp then fenugreek oil can help moisturize it.
- Prevents premature greying
Fenugreek seeds contain potassium and lecithin that prevent any premature greying of hair. Fenugreek seeds added to coconut oil are one of the best natural home remedies that provide you with black and shiny hair.
- Increase the density of your hair
If you want your hair to be thicker and voluminous especially if you have experienced shedding or hair loss. You can use fenugreek oil for hair to regain healthy follicles. Also, if you are struggling from alopecia or have any bald patches then fenugreek oil can help regrow that hair.
How to make fenugreek oil for hair at home
- 3 tablespoons of fenugreek seeds
- Coconut oil (or any other carrier oil)
- Air-tight container
- Filter or Cheesecloth
- Blender or a pestle
The process to make and store it
- To make the fenugreek seeds easier for blending, toast 3 tablespoons of it in a pan. Keep stirring it for 3-5 minutes at medium heat.
- Wait till the seeds turn golden brownish, then let it cool down completely.
- Use any blender or a pestle to make a properly grind the roasted fenugreek seeds.
- Now, heat some water in a pan (for the double heating method)
- Keep a bowl in the middle of the heating water and add coconut oil to it (you can also use olive oil, virgin oil, or almond oil in place of it). Make sure the amount of coconut oil you are adding in the bowl can fully soak the fenugreek seeds.
- Add the ground fenugreek seeds to the bowl and let it heat for 15 mins. This will help the content of fenugreek seeds to infuse into coconut oil making it beneficial for your hairs.
- Once the oil is completely heated and starts looking red, let it cool down and then strain it in an air-tight container.
- The oil is ready for use and you can also store the oil in an air-tight container in the refrigerator.
- Store the fenugreek oil out of direct sunlight and away from heat, as it can make the oil rancid. If after sometimes, the oil appears cloudy or you see any mold growing the discard the fenugreek oil.
- Try using this stored oil within 1 month.
How to use it on your hair
- Apply this fenugreek oil thoroughly to your scalp. Keep massaging your scalp for 2-3 minutes.
- You should also apply this oil on the hair ends as it helps in preventing breakage and retaining your length as well.
- You can apply this oil before washing your hair or after.
- Make sure to let your hair be oiled for a minimum of 30-45 minutes before washing it off.
- Use this oil twice a week to get better results.
Things to remember
- Avoid the use of this oil while pregnancy as it can cause contractions.
- If you have a sensitive scalp then consult your doctor before using this oil.
You may also like to read: Top 10 Homemade Hair Packs For Hair Fall: Natural & Effective
You will be able to start seeing the difference in 5-6 weeks after starting the use of fenugreek oil for hair. Hope this article was informative about the use and making of fenugreek oil. Comment and share your experience with fenugreek seeds or oil.