If you are looking for a hair dye alternative that does not include chemical-loaded products then use henna and indigo mix for black hair. There are two ways to use it if you want dark black hair then follow the two-step process and if you want shades of brown then follow the one-step process.
Henna is commonly used to stain hands in different shapes and patterns in Indian households. It can also be used as a natural dye which is much safer and economical in comparison to chemical-loaded colors there are in the market. It contains cooling and antimicrobial properties which improve and maintain your scalp’s health.
You might have heard that Indigo is used to dye pieces of denim as it contains a blue tint. You should also know that Indigo powder is another natural hair dye that is used to color hair in shades of black and brown. It does not harm your hair in any way. It also gives your hair a wonderful shine.
Henna Indigo Mis Two-Step Process
If you have grey hair or just want to color your hair black then you need to follow this two-step process. Using the henna mix will turn your grey hair into an orange brownish color. After the henna mix, applying indigo mix will turn that orange-brown hair (which was grey earlier) into black.
Using only indigo mix will not dye your grey hair into black so you need to follow this two-step process to use henna and indigo mix for black hair.
Things you need-
- Henna powder (100g for short hair, 200g for medium length, 300g for long hair)
- Indigo powder (100g for short hair, 200g for medium length hair, 300g for long hair)
- Black tea
- 1-2 tsp Lemon Juice/ ACV
- Some Coconut oil/ Vaseline
- Glass bowl
- Transparent roll
How to prepare henna and indigo mix for black hair according to two-step process-
- You need to prepare the henna mix a day before the application (if you are dying your hair on Sunday then prepare the henna mix on Saturday night)
- In a glass bowl, put the amount of henna powder according to your hair length.
- Pour some warm black tea into it. Also, add some lemon about 1- 2 tsp in the mix. Lemon acts as a catalytic agent and helps release color from henna.
- Keep pouring and mixing until you get a yogurt-like consistency.
- Cover the bowl with a transparent roll. Don’t worry if you see any lumps, it will get smoother after some time. Set aside this henna mix for 8-10 hours.
- The next day, after using the henna mix you need to prepare the indigo mix.
- Put the indigo powder in a glass bowl according to your hair length.
- Add warm filtered water into it and keep mixing.
How to use the henna and indigo mix for black hair-
- On the day of application, before dying your hair put some coconut oil on the sides of your face, ears, and back of your neck. This prevents henna from sticking on the sides of your face and neck and could easily be washed off.
- Apply the henna mix by section, start from the top and move towards the back. Don’t forget to cover your shoulders with a towel or plastic.
- After you have applied the henna mix, cover your head with a shower cap and leave it for 45-60 minutes.
- Rinse your hair, do not use any shampoo.
- After washing dry your hair thoroughly to prepare it for the second step.
- Mix indigo powder with warm water.
- Apply the indigo mix on dry hair in the same manner and leave it for 1 hour or more if you have time.
- Rinse your hair and dry well.
- The next day you need to wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner
- For better results use the 2-step process 3 times a month
Henna and Indigo Mix One-Step Process for Dark Brown Hair
The henna indigo one-step process involves combining both the henna as well as the indigo powder together for brown hair color. It takes half the processing time as a two-step process.
Things you need-
- Henna powder (100g for short hair, 200g for medium hair, 300g for long hair)
- Indigo powder
- Black tea
- 1-2 tsp Lemon Juice
- 2 bowl (steel/glass)
- Normal water
- Lukewarm water
- Transparent roll
How to prepare henna and indigo mix one-step process- for brown hair
- You need to prepare henna paste a night before its application
- Put the henna powder in a plastic or glass bowl according to your hair length.
- Add boiled tea and lemon juice into it and keep mixing to make a smooth paste.
- Cover the bowl with a transparent roll and set it aside for 8-10 hours.
- On the day of application, prepare the indigo paste.
- Add indigo powder to a glass bowl and pour some warm water into it. (Ratio of henna and indigo powder should be 2:1. You can use more of henna and less of indigo for a darker shade of brown)
- Keep adding small amounts of lukewarm water while stirring to make a smooth paste.
- Now, mix both the henna paste and indigo paste together.
How to use this henna and indigo mix one-step process
Apply the henna and indigo paste on your hair by section. Start from the front of your head and move towards the back.
- Wear gloves while dying your hair as they can stain your hands.
- You can cover your hair with a shower cap or tie it on a bun.
- Leave it for 60 minutes for light chestnut brown or 2-3 hours for dark brown hair color.
- You can also add beetroot juice to the henna paste to get a reddish highlight.
You may also like to read: How To Make Fenugreek Oil For Hair: Benefits For Hair
Instead of opting for harsh chemicals, we suggest that you first use henna and indigo mix for black hair and see if it works for you. Also, try doing a small patch test to check for any reaction.