Piles, also known as hemorrhoids is a condition where the veins around your anus or lower rectum gets swollen. Piles can cause bleeding, itching, pain, and discomfort. Whenever the patient defecates, the veins bulge, get irritated causing pain and bleeding. They are commonly observed in adults and can be extremely painful and uncomfortable if left untreated. Before moving ahead with home remedies for piles, let’s first understand why it is caused.
What causes hemorrhoids or piles?
They can occur due to the below-mentioned reasons:
- Having a diet that is low on fiber such as fruits and fresh vegetables.
- Chronic constipation and straining too much in order to pass stools
- Pregnancy can also put a strain on the veins due to an enlarged uterus
- A sedentary lifestyle and sitting in one place
- Inherited tendency to develop piles
- Aging can cause the weakening of tissues around the rectum
Types of hemorrhoids
There are three types of hemorrhoids:
Internal hemorrhoids: They are found inside your rectum hence cannot be seen. They tend to be painless.
External hemorrhoids: They are found under the skin surrounding the anus hence can be seen. They can be painful and itchy.
Prolapsed Hemorrhoids: This type of hemorrhoid often hangs out of the anus. Too much straining during defecation can push the internal hemorrhoid outside. This can be extremely painful. They look like lumps outside your anus.
Prevention from hemorrhoids
- Improved diet: A diet rich in fiber helps keep the stools soft. Include fresh fruits and salads, boiled vegetables, and soups in your diet every day.
- Exercise: Regular physical activities like aerobics. Yoga, swimming, or brisk walking facilitates easy bowel movements and keeps you regular.
- Natural urge: Always listen to your body’s natural urge to defecate. Do not wait around unnecessarily.
- Avoid straining: Avoid putting too much strain during defecation. It can lead to unnecessary pressure in the veins around your lower rectum.
- Ideal weight: Try to keep obesity at bay by exercising every day and eating mindfully.
Home remedies for hemorrhoids or piles
Many people have reported fantastic results from Vicks VapoRub. However, it should be used only externally. The camphor present in it helps reduce itching and also reduces inflammation. Its regular use helps to shrink them faster. Just take a small amount and apply it around the affected area. Leave it for a couple of hours. Repeat if needed.
Take a few ice cubes in a cloth and wrap it properly. Now use it as a compress around the affected area. Keep repeating for 10-15 minutes. This is extremely helpful in reducing the swelling and pain around the anus.
Aloe vera is known for its soothing effect can be extremely helpful to reduce irritation and burning around the anus area. Simply apply a good quality aloe vera gel on the affected spot and leave it for as long as possible before washing it off.
Sitz bath can be prepared at home by adding baking soda and Epsom salt in a warm bathtub. Submerge yourself in this water. Soak yourself for 15 minutes. Do this every day. This will help reduce symptoms of pain and inflammation. This especially effective to reduce the pain after bowel movements.
OTC Medication options
There are many OTC medications available that might offer relief from your symptoms. Painkillers like Ibuprofen can be used to reduce pain. Stool softeners can be taken every night to loosen hard stools. Also, there are many OTC ointments available with hydrocortisone as an important ingredient in its composition. These creams can be used to reduce the symptoms. Remember that this kind of creams should not be used for more than a week.
Natural witch hazel acts as an inflammatory and aids in reducing swelling. It can be purchased in liquid form. Simply soak a cotton ball in it and apply it over the affected area.
To ease the pain during bowel movements, apply some Vaseline around the anus edge. It helps soothe and prevent pain around the anus.
Garlic is one of the most well-known home remedies for piles. It is miraculous for piles as it can not only heal but also prevent it from ever appearing. It reduces the pain around the rectum area and soothes inflammation. Simply boil the 4-5 fresh garlic cloves in 1 cup of water for 10-15 mins. Strain it and let it cool. Soak cotton in this liquid and gently apply around the affected spot.
You may also like to read: How to use apple cider vinegar to lose belly fat
Diet Tips for hemorrhoids /Piles
- Add fresh fruits and salads to your diet. Boiled vegetables and soups are excellent for preventing as well as healing the hemorrhoids
- Make sure to drink 8-10 glasses of water every day to stay hydrated
- Add fermented foods like curd, miso paste, Kimchi or sauerkraut.
- Include more fresh garlic and turmeric in your diet.
- Avoid white rice, refined flour, white sugar as well as excess oily or heavy meals
Often minor episodes of hemorrhoids may go away on their own. Maybe with the help of some simple home remedies for piles. In case they do not go away in a couple of weeks or worsen even more then it is best that you consult a doctor to seek proper medical attention.